Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2011 New Years Goals!

(Note: The following post was cross-posted from my critique group blog The Ink Slingers)

This week I've decided to take a leaf out of Bethany R.'s book and confess my New Years Goals ("Resolutions" sounds too final and intimidating!) for the fast approaching 2011! (Crazy how time flies, huh? I still can't believe 2010 is just mere days away from being a thing of the past, I can still remember ringing it in at midnight last New Year's Eve!) Anywho, for my New Years Goals this year, I'm attempting to be more realistic and choose goals that are still challenging, yet also doable and (heaven forbid) FUN! :)

Health
*Exercise at least three times a week (2 times a week on the Nu Step, 1 time a week in the swimming pool)

*Attempt to do a liver cleanse (I'll keep you posted on this one, 3 weeks of eating nothing but fruits and vegetables is SO not my idea of fun, but lately I've been feeling really icky physically and mentally and have no confidence in the way I look, so at this point, I'm willing to try anything to get me feeling healthy and full of life and energy! Let's just hope I survive...)

*Get out of the house at least once a week (Doing school online doesn't always leave me a lot of free time or energy to get out and do things away from my computer, plus, it doesn't help that I live in Alaska, where it snows for freaking half the year, making it almost impossible for me to get outside safely, but for my sanity and the sanity of others around me, I'm hoping to change that this year!)

*Worry less, live more (In addition to being a homebody, I'm also a big worry-wart, always fretting about the safety of my family and friends, the past, the future, what I did or didn't say/do, you name it, I'm probably worrying about it. But I know that not all of the things I worry about are in my control, so I really have to train myself to just get out into the world more and experience the things it has to offer, and try not to worry as much about what might/will/won't happen and just learn to love life and to live in the NOW! Any tips you have on how to worry less would be awesome!)

Writing
*Write-and for the love of God, FINISH-a 50,000 word, craptastic first draft of a story and have FUN doing it, perfection be damned! (Yeah, I'll be sure to keep you updated on this one, should be interesting, lol! That is, if I don't pull out all my hair first! :P)

*Attend a writer's retreat (I've always wanted to attend one of these, some retreat locations and houses I've seen are so amazing I practically salivate with longing at the sight of them! But retreats out of state are so expensive! Oh, how I wish money really did grow on trees! But we shall see, we shall see...)

*Attend a writing conference (I actually attended my first local writing conference this summer when a group of Alaskan mystery writers came to town. That was fun, especially when I walked in and realized I was the only under-50-year-old writer there, lol, but all the women were really welcoming and informative, so I got over it after a little while! The best part though was when an agent from New York got up to speak and I didn't realize she had been the same woman that had been sitting in front of me the whole time! Then I was lucky enough to be able to work with her when she was in my group when we did a group writing session, and then at the end of the day, as I got into the elevator to leave she said bye and then wished me good luck with my writing and...I didn't say anything back! I must've still been in shock that an actual agent was even talking to me, let alone wishing me good luck, but OMG, was I embarrassed!

*Attend a book signing (This is a goal that I've wanted to accomplish for a long time. I've read blogs where people recount their experience at a book signing and even watched bits of different book signings on Youtube, but it doesn't even come close to the real thing! The top 5 authors whose book signings I would just DIE to attend? Kimberly Derting (The Body Finder), Jackson Pearce (Sisters Red), Becca Fitzpatrick (Hush, Hush), Kamie Garcia and Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures) and Maggie Stievater (Shiver), even though I haven't finished reading Shiver yet and have not read any of her other books (I know, I know, the horror!) from what I've seen of her signings online, she's a very entertaining speaker and had me in stitches, so either way, I bet I'd have a ball! :)

Now, it's your turn! What are your New Years Resolutions/Goals this year?

~Ella

1 comment:

Jessica Silva said...

Those look really fun (except the liver cleanse). Good luck :) I wish I could attend a conference haha but I don't have the money!