Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine's Day: All or Nothing

I don't usually celebrate Valentine's Day, but this year at the urging of my 1st and 2nd graders I'm going all out. Red fortune cookies, heart shaped chocolate cookies, homemade truffles, heart shaped erasers, homemade cards, pink clothes (cringe) you name it and I'm probably doing it for those kids. I've even decided to do the Valentine's Day Blogfests this year, which are usually something I leave for Ella to do.

The only problem is I'm still not that just going through the motions. Sure I'll eat the candy my mom sends and have a great time watching the kids open my goody bags, but that's it. In fact I haven't really celebrated Valentine's Day in a long time.

But maybe that's because the last time was so special. I hadn't seen him in almost a month, and he was coming to town on a basketball trip. I must have called half a dozen people before I found someone willing to give me a ride to that gym, but seeing the look on his face when he spotted me walking down that hallway was worth it all. I'd brought homemade chocolate covered cherries, and he'd made me a bouquet of roses out of chocolate kisses, pipe cleaners, and pink Saran wrap. We set up in the bleachers talking for hours just enjoying being together.

- Aaron

No comments: