Friday, July 19, 2013

Finally, Putting a Face with a Name

It's taken me almost three weeks to get a picture of Shaylee (my new MC) from my head to paper, and I've learned two very important things. 1) Drawing isn't like riding a bike. I can't put it down and then come back a decade later and just pick it up again. 2) Never ask someone else to bring me my sketchbook from the car. I ended up with a pair of polka dot rubber boots and never did get the sketch book back.

Shaylee looks something like this.


The story (Survivor's Guilt) is set in the near future, so I tried to keep Shaylee fairly current looking, although faces are pretty timeless as long as the hair is kept simple. Since I'm no good at hair simple is about all it is, with a little messy thrown in for good measure.

Events take place two years after an alien invasion where humanity has been overrun and the survivors are being rounded up and transported to camps, so I focused a lot on Shaylee's flaws. Even though she's only seventeen her face has a lot of the marks of someone much older.

- Aaron

5 comments:

Leovi said...

Lovely face, I like that look blue!

Mary-andering Creatively said...

Beautiful drawing. Thanks for sharing. Hooked up with you at Creative Mondays. Hope you have a good and producive week.

Covenant Grace said...

Interesting picture, very skillful drawing. Her eyes have a story to tell. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Claire Justine said...

Lovely drawing :)

Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays

Winnie said...

It's a very nice drawing!! I wish I could draw. It's something I always wanted to learn but never did...