Monday, July 14, 2014

Ready. Set. Write! (Week 6)


As you probably noticed, it's been awhile since I've posted any updates on my progress with RSW.  I didn't want to not post, since I already have a horrible habit of not finishing the things I start, but I didn't want to take the time to post another update until I had something significant to report and today I think I finally do! :)

How I did on last week’s goals:

I haven't had any RSW-related goals for the last few weeks except trying to come up with a story idea that I liked enough to spend the rest of RSW and July Camp NaNoWriMo working on, which has proved to be much harder to achieve then I would have liked. 

My goal(s) for this week:

Write a little every day on my new YA Horror WIP, I'm affectionately referring to as Girl Eats Boy. (if your curious to know what it's about and since I suck at writing summaries, just think Supernatural-meets-Anna Dressed in Blood-meets the movie Jennifer's Body) Also, take a peek at GEB's Pinterest board if you want!

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:

Challenging/exciting.

The biggest challenge I faced this week:

I just started writing this story yesterday and already I know it's going to be a bit of a departure for me since my comfort zone has always been writing introverted, sweet, shy MC's in First Person, Past Tense. But with this MS, I'm trying something new by pushing myself to write an extroverted, risk-taking MC in First Person, Present Tense.  This experiment is definitely proving to be a challenge since I find myself slipping back into my old habits without realizing it, but I'm still having fun trying something new nonetheless!

Trying  to take the pressure off myself and practice making writing fun again.  This has been the hardest part for me for a while now.  I've been so consumed with finding "the one" (aka, that story that changes everything, lands me an agent/book deal/etc.) that I've lost sight of why I even started this writing thing in the first place.  Yes, I wanted to become a published author eventually, but I also never want to lose my joy and enthusiasm for writing itself because if that happens then what's the point anyway, right?

Something I love about my WIP:

The same thing I love about Supernatural: The idea that females can be just as scary/kick ass as males. Oh, and lets not forget the fact that it contains three of my favorite things: Ghost possession, a touch of cannibalism, and, of course, kissing! ;)

~Ella

P.S. If you feel so inclined, come show some love to the author interview I did recently with the lovely Heather Marie and her debut, THE GATEWAY THROUGH WHICH THEY CAME!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats starting a story you're so excited about and one that's out of your comfort zone. Have fun with it. "A touch of cannibalism"-that sounds interesting.

Alison Miller said...

I love the sound of your WiP! Good luck with your goals this week!