Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mentoring

Okay, be forewarned I’m about to try and rope you into something. The other day I was looking through the NaNoWriMo forums, and I found an interesting thread.

Wait for it… wait for it… and here it is.

It’s called “Adopt a Newbie,” and you can find it in the “Newbie” thread of the forums. Basically, it’s where first year participants in NaNoWriMo can post a request for a mentor to help them out during November. Then participants who have a few years under their belt and are interested in mentoring someone can go there and look for a newbie that they think might be a good match. There is also a corresponding page where perspective mentors can post a little intro for an interested newbies to look at.

When I saw the thread I remembered what it was like my first year, so I decided to post an intro on the mentor thread. Then this afternoon I got a NaNoMail message from a young woman (I'm guessing here since "she" didn't actually specify) named Snowkab who was interested in taking me on as her mentor. I know what you’re thinking, and I also hope that she realizes what she’s getting her self into.

Anyway, I’m writing this because there are lots of newbies out there who are still looking for mentors, and if this is your first time doing NaNoWriMo there are lots of mentors out there still looking for newbies. If you’re an interested party from either side of the fence please check out either the “Adopt a Newbie” thread or the “Mentor” thread.

It's definitely worth the time. I mean I just started and I’m already excited, which just ask Ella is a rare thing for me.

-Aaron

No comments: