Monday, December 21, 2009

My First Swoon

I was reading over at Nina Malkin's blog (author of "Swoon") and found 12 blog posts dedicated to 12 YA authors first swoons. They made me think back to my first swoon and I thought it would be fun to share it here with all of you!

Now, I've had many many swoons throughout the years, but the one that stands out most clearly in my mind is when I was a senior in high school. I first noticed my swoon-worthy crush, (we'll call him James), in a Chemistry class I was taking outside of school. James was a Junior and I was a lowly Sophomore. From the moment I laid eyes on him, I swooned for James from afar and yearned for him to look at me as more than just the girl who got tongue-tied and just basically made a complete idiot out of myself whenever he was around.

Fast forward to the next year when I was a Junior and James was a Senior. For a whole year I had watched as James dated several girls (and several of my friends) in school and still, I pined for him, totally and completely. I'd say I was in love (or maybe just in intense like, however you want to look at it). Anyway, when the Senior prom came around, I was all set to go. I was wearing a fabulous dress, my hair was done and I had on makeup, which I hardly ever wear. Basically, I was on top of the world.

I arrived at the prom with a group of friends and was having a great time, but all the while I would sneak peeks across the dance floor at James, who, at the time, was involved with one of my friends, so, naturally, I was a little bummed that my fantasies involving James would never come true.

One such fantasy was one that was so far-fetched, I was sure it would never happen: the fantasy involved James and I locked in a tight embrace as we danced to the song “You and Me” by Lifehouse.
Ahhh…Pure bliss.
But, unfortunately, this was reality, and in reality, I was alone while James was taken, so, my fantasy would be simply that, a fantasy.

But boy was I wrong.

Halfway through the prom as I was standing with my friends on the edge of the dance floor, trying my hardest not to draw attention to myself, what song should come on at that very moment except my fantasy song, “You and Me”? Just as I began to register that fact and was preparing myself to wallow in self-pity, however, a deep male voice penetrated my pity-session to ask, “Do you want to dance?” Not only was this the first offer I’d ever had from a guy to dance, but I turned around to discover that that guy was James.

I was in total mind-numbing shock, I was trembling from head to foot, and time seemed to move in slow motion as I followed him to the middle of the dance floor. It was then that my wildest fantasy came true: James took me in his arms (or rather, placed his hands on my waist while I put mine on his shoulders :p) and we danced to Lifehouse. It was perfect. I never wanted it to end. Then, like all fantasies do, mine hit a snag. I lost my balance and almost fell, but luckily, James caught me and we continued to dance. Then in the middle of the dance I had a strong urge to lay my head on his chest (I’m only 4’11, so James towered over me and his shoulder was out of my reach), but, knowing he had a girlfriend, I managed to restrain myself.

Barley.

And then, like all fantasies and perfect moments always do, the song and our dance came to an end. After that magical night, James and I never dated, and eventually, he went off to college and we lost touch. But even though I returned to reality and time went on and things changed like they alway do, I’ll always have that perfect night tucked away in my mind and heart, untouched and never to be tampered with and definatly not forgotten.

The first and best swoon of my life. :)

Now it's your turn dear readers, tell me about your first swoon! I can't wait to read them!

~Ella

No comments: