Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fairytale Frenzy!

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but whenever I start a new project-whether it involves zombies, fairies, or any other crazy things I can come up with-I get obsessed with anything and everything that has to do with the subject I'm working on. I scour for movies, TV shows, articles, books, anything.

So, ever since I started writing Devour-and also because I just can't seem to get enough of fairy tales in general-I've been searching for other material to use for inspiration and to maybe give me some ideas for plot points and things. There doesn't seem to be a lot of other material concerning Hansel and Gretel, so I've been looking at other fairy tales as well for some help. So far I've found the complete collection of the Brothers Grimm fairytale, and two different movie versions of Little Red Riding Hood (one of which looks totally creepy by the way, that I can't wait to watch! :)) And surprisingly, after looking on several different bookstore websites, I haven't been able to find hardly any YA books that are modernizations of fairy tales! Isn't that strange? It makes me sad that there aren't more out there. :(

As you can see, the pickings, so far, have been pretty slim, so I wanted to ask you: Do you have any good book/movie/TV show recommendations that are modernizations (preferably for a YA audience, since YA is what I'm writing), of Hansel and Gretel or any other fairy tales?

I'd love to hear your recommendations in the comments! :)
~Ella

3 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

There's the Sisters Grimm fairy tale detectives. They're set in contemporary setting. Most of my favorite fairy tales in YA are set back in time: East, Jessica Day George's books, Shannon Hale's books, Goose Chase, Dealing with Dragons, Patricia McKillip's books. I love fairy tales too!

Gypsy Thornton said...

Oh dear! You need better search engines!

There are TONS of adaptations! Check my Once Upon A Blog for fairy-tale-by-name stories or the SurLaLune Blog for the same. Best resource to send you to is the actual SurLaLune website -look up LRRH or H&G there and then the 'modern adaptations' page for each. There are lots to choose from and more coming out as I write (my blog has some release notices, Heidi's SurLaLune blog has other books (we try not to overlap too much in our news.)
Here are the URLs:
Once Upon A Blog (fairy tale news):
http://fairytalenewsblog.blogspot.com/
SurLaLune Blog:
http://surlalunefairytales.blogspot.com/
If you don't find what you're looking for email me at fairytalenews AT gmail DOT com and I'll help if I have time. Good luck!

lisa and laura said...

Are you so excited for Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce? I think that retelling looks awesome!