Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Carpe Demon!

Man, I haven't done a Teaser Tuesday/WIP Wednesday in forever! But, I plan to change that: My goal for the month of April is to post a teaser on either Teaser Tuesday or WIP Wednesday, every Teaser Tuesday or WIP Wednesday this month. Knowing that I have either one of those days to look forward to (or dread, however you wanna look at it! :P)in order to share my writing with you will keep me motivated to keep writing at least a couple times a week! Here's hoping that happens! :)

The following is a teaser from my newest WIP (new as in, I just literally came up with the idea last night-March 30, 2010-lol) Carpe Demon (Translation: Seize the Demon. Title in progress, I suck at them, lol). Enjoy and lemme know what you think! (I'm actually pretty nervous about posting this, I just wrote it like 30 minutes ago! Eek!)
*************************************************************************************

I was at the end of the line, almost ready to go on stage when my cell phone went off. Hastily, I pulled it from my purse dangling on the back of my chair that was, luckily, only a few feet away from me and flipped it open, looking around quickly, praying that no one had heard the noise. When I was sure no one had noticed, I looked down at the cell phone screen:
Uncle Brian needs you. Hurry, I’m right out front.
My stomach instantly clenched into knots. There was an exorcism? Now? Of all nights?
I snapped the phone shut and tossed it back into my purse.
There was only one thing to do.
I snatched my purse off the back of my chair, slinging it over my shoulder as I crept away from the line leading up to the stage and fast-walked on the edge of the crowd toward the exit, while all the while trying to look as inconspicuous as possible.
When I reached the door, I eased it open as quietly as I could, preparing to leave the room, when I felt long nails dig into my shoulder, biting into the skin. I let out a gasp of pain as a voice, like honey that was anything but sweet whispered in my ear, “now where do you think your going, young lady?”
“Bathroom,” I mumbled as I twisted out from under her claws and turned to face Celia, whose face was plastered in a self-satisfied smirk.
“Oh, really? Then why do you have your purse?” she challenged.
“Pads. You know, for my period?” I lied, willing the heat not to rise in my face and give me away. “So, I’ve gotta…you know, go take care of things.”
Celia looked skeptical, her eyebrows raised and her eyes narrowed in suspicion, like she didn’t believe me.
I waited, not wanting to push it when I was so close to freedom.
Finally, she caved, her mouth puckering into an agitated frown as she snapped, “fine, but make it quick, your about to go on.”
I nodded and hurried out the door, all the while feeling Celia’s eyes boring into the back of my head, and knowing in my gut that somehow, she knew I was lying.

~Ella

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty good. You have me wanting to read more so that's always a good sign. :)