Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One of the many reasons why...

Teachers should rule the world. I’m an education major, and this is long running joke around education majors. Whenever something particularly interesting or worthy of someone hitting their forehead and proclaiming “no duh” happens in class someone always proclaims “this is why teachers should rule the world.”

One of those moments occurred today in one of my summer school education classes. My professor handed out a copy of the working agreements that she used to have her students sign when she was a third grade teacher. It seemed so perfect that I felt the need to share it, so here it is.

Working Agreements:

1. Listen generously to each other.
2. Be on each other’s side all the time.
3. Do what you say you will do; call if you can’t.
4. Speak straight; say what you are thinking; let us know if something isn’t working.
5. Acknowledge and appreciate each other.

If only everyone would live by these rules.

-Aaron

1 comment:

Linda Glaz said...

When I started evaluating new soccer refs, my mentor always said to say three good things for every negative crit. I had to really dig sometimes, but could always find something to say that was positive. Hmm, nice color black to that uniform. Ugh, but it's true. Be a cheerleader for the positive aspects.