Thursday, October 28, 2010

Do You NaNo?

So, it's almost that time of year again...NaNoWriMo!!!

At first, I was torn between trying to decide whether or not I should even participate this year, just because November is one of the busiest months of the year for me as far as school goes. But, of course, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I wouldn't be able to walk away from that crazy/fun as a challenge, especially when I knew people all over the world (and with much busier schedules then mine) would be doing it with me! So bring it on NaNo, bring it on!!! This year, compared to the last two, I feel much more prepared. I have a story idea that I'm itching to get to work on and I have notes for the beginning and middle of the story! The end? I'm keeping that a surprise. :) Also, I'm thinking of rewarding myself at the end of every week of NaNo if manage to write everyday, Monday-Friday. Any suggestions? :)

Also, I have some very valuable tips from a live show YA author Jackson Pearce did last night that I thought I'd share with you all (Thanks again Kayliegh, for sending me a copy)!




Jackson Pearce's Tips for NaNoWriMo




  • Outlining helps, but it doesn't have to be ultra-detailed. It's OK if you don't know every little detail and if you sometimes write stuff like "something bad happens" in the outline.


  • If you get stuck, just skip to a more interesting scene or a scene you really want to write.


  • Resist the urge to edit as you write.


  • It's OK for the first draft to be crap.


  • You have to make the time to write-no one is ever too busy. You have to make writing your priority.


  • You don't need fancy software-don't make excuses such as "But I don't have Scrivener/my notes/etc." As long as you have paper and a pencil/pen, you can write.


  • Write or Die is a good motivator.


  • Write as much as you can the first few days if you have time. That way, if you fall behind one day, you will have gotten a head start beforehand.


  • Nymbler.com is a good place to find names for your characters.
Aren't those great tips, I'm definitely keeping them handy during NaNo! Overall, I'm a little nervous but also really excited for NaNoWriMo to begin and I can't wait to see what the month holds in store! :) So tell me, are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? Have any good tips to make it through the month alive? I'd love to know!



See you all November 1st! :)

~Ella

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are great tips from Pearce. Happy writing.