Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Teaser Tuesday: The Angel Experiment (Working Title)

So, I've been feeling a little nervous about posting the first teaser of this story. Normally I'm not and am always really excited and really eager to show other people my work, but this time...This time feels a little different, probably because I've come to have a soft spot for this story. That's not to say that I haven't had a soft spot for all the other stories I've worked on in the past, because I have, it's just with this one, I think because I've had so many fun and energized writing sessions with it and it's still in the beginning stages, I feel a little more attached to it than all the others. Does that make sense?

Anyway, here's the teaser! Constructive criticism is welcome! Enjoy! :D

***
I smelled him before I saw him.
It was a strange smell; a mixture of the sweet perfume of flowers, like lilacs, combined with the sweet smell of honey and the rich, earthy smell of dirt and wet leaves…
But lurking among all those inviting scents was a much darker and sinister one: it was thick and liquidy, like paint, only darker, almost black, with a faint hint of rust if you were to taste it on your tongue-
It was the unmistakable smell…of blood.

It was frigid outside the car. Frost blossomed on the windows and the wind held the surrounding area in an icy, almost unbearable grip, along with the people brave enough to venture outdoors.
Inside the car however-
Now that was a completely different story…

Trent Fuller, the son of Mercy Falls Chief of Police and I had been going out since the middle of our sophomore year of high school, the best three months of my life. In fact, we were about to celebrate our fourth in a week exactly, a day that I was determined to make as perfect as possible.
Until then, however, I was perfectly content to spend my time with Trent doing what we usually did on a Friday night: Dinner at Pizza Palace, followed by a movie and concluding with a ride home before my curfew at midnight-
With a slight detour thrown in for good measure, in which we usually ended up on the side of the road, with Trent’s car in park, hidden under a cover of thick leaves and the cloak of darkness-
Totally inconspicuous.

Tonight was one such night: Trent cut engine of his ink black Mustang, a hush settling over the car as the engine cooled and eventually quieted.
“Thanks for tonight, I had a great time,” I told him, sighing happily.
“No problem,” he said casually, turning to me. “But the night’s not over yet.” There was a devious glint in his eye and a wicked grin spreading across his face as he said this, and I had a feeling I knew exactly what he had up his sleeve…
“Oh, really?” I asked playfully, “and what, pray tell, did you have in mind?”
“Oh, I’m sure I can think of something…”

~Ella

No comments: