Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Trying Old and New Things



Hey everybody, it feels so great to be back!

I was so ashamed of how much we’d let things go at Blogger Girlz I was actively avoiding everything to do with it. It was kind of like if, I didn’t acknowledge its existence then I couldn’t possibly be neglecting it. Blog? What blog?

Which is why it was such a big relief when Ella and I were talking, and it turned out we both felt the same way. These are the moments I love blogging with my truly stupendous best friend.

Like Ella, I’ve been trying some new things with my writing, but I’ve been doing it by way of revisiting some old projects.

I had a lot of fun with the Medusa retelling I was working on a couple years back, but the deeper into the story I got the more problems I had. Finally I realized it was because I was trying to transplant an entire ancient culture while building a futuristic dystopian world on the fly. The story line I already had in my mine, but the world wasn’t there. I had to keep stopping to go back and make sure I wasn’t contradicting myself too badly, and I almost always was. I finally surrendered, but in the past couple weeks I’ve decided to try a new approach and see if I can make it work.

After far too much research and a book buying spree I’m ready to attempt to write a “non-fiction” history book about my fictional future dystopian world in which the Greek gods are back and better than ever. In the process I've discovered there are a lot of resources out there for building a fictional world. My favorite so far is The Planet Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder. It's so detailed and informative. It even has its own website.

So here’s to new projects, yours, mine, and Ella’s.

- Aaron

No comments: